Roger Harmer

Liberal Democrat Campaigner working for Acocks Green

Cold Weather Payments Triggered

The current spell of freezing weather has triggered Cold Weather Payments for Birmingham residents who are eligible for them. You can check if you should be receiving Cold Weather Payments via this link. Payments amount to £25 for each 7 day periods of cold weather. So far in the current cold spell we have had one period. Payments are not made immediately but should be received within the next 2 weeks. If you have any queries about your Cold Weather Payments you should contact you pension centre or Job Centre Plus (depending on which benefit you receive).

20 Comments

• On 01.19.13 stephanie wrote:

what day will our cold weather payment go into our account if it say’s we are due one since there as been a trigger in my area?

• On 01.20.13 rogerharmer wrote:

Hi Stephanie – your payment should reach your account within two weeks of it being triggered. Roger

• On 01.20.13 kelly wrote:

hi i have children under 5 and have not had one any ideas x

• On 01.20.13 rogerharmer wrote:

Hi Kelly

If you are currently getting Income Support, Income related JSA or Income related ESA you are eligible for the cold weather payment as you have children under 5 living with you, but the Job Centre Plus office need to know about your children – if they don’t you’ll have to tell them. Then they will arrange the payment. Bear in mind it can take up to 2 weeks for the payment to be made and it isn’t yet 2 weeks since the payment was declared.

Roger

• On 01.21.13 tay wrote:

when do you think will we get a payment

• On 01.21.13 rogerharmer wrote:

The payment was triggered last week so it should be by the middle of next week at the latest, hopefully sooner. Given the weather forecast for this week there may well be a second payment, but I will post again if and when this is confirmed. Roger

• On 01.23.13 laura wrote:

Hi my son is 5 am I entitled to c.w.p

• On 01.23.13 rogerharmer wrote:

Hi, you need to look at the full criteria using the link in my article to find out if you are entitled to c. w. p. Having a five year old child does not, of itself, entitle you to c. w. p. – you need to see if you meet the criteria for another reason. Roger

• On 03.25.13 Philomena wrote:

Will a cold weather payment be made this week for the area B30?

• On 03.25.13 rogerharmer wrote:

It hasn’t been triggered yet, it needs the average temperature to be below freezing for 7 days (before the end of March) – I’ll post on this blog if it happens. Roger

• On 04.01.13 chloe wrote:

Is the a cold weather payment due in the sk3 area today I’d 01/04/2013

• On 04.01.13 Dee wrote:

Hello, I have been checking the weather now for almost two weeks we have had snow in birmingham and minus temperatures so I am slightly confused as to why a cold weather payment has not been triggered, I checked and for 7 consecutive days there were minus temperatures across birmingham

• On 04.02.13 rogerharmer wrote:

As far as I understand they take the average temperature during the full 7 days – so it doesn’t just mean the temperature has to fall below freezing at some point each day, but it has to be below freezing on average more than its above freezing. I was watching it and the lowest 7 day average temperature I saw in the recent cold spell was 0.6C – so just missing the cold weather payment trigger. The reason the average kept above freezing was that the daytime temperatures were consistently just enough above freezing to outweigh the amount to which the nighttime minima were below freezing.

• On 04.02.13 rogerharmer wrote:

I don’t think, so but you can check on the DWP website (see the link on my post) with your full postcode.

• On 04.04.13 lisa wrote:

is there any cold weather payments been issued for the end of march for the ws12 area as it was freezing for 2 weeks just wondering as i am on jobseekers allowance with 2 young children

• On 04.04.13 rogerharmer wrote:

I don’t think so but if you put your full postcode into the DWP cold weather payment website (given in my post) you can check for sure.

• On 04.04.13 tiffany wrote:

Are there any cold weather payments being issued for the dh4 area

• On 04.04.13 rogerharmer wrote:

Best to check the DWP Cold Weather Payments site using your full website in the checker form.

• On 04.09.13 mike watson wrote:

Any cold weather payments for march 25 to april 9

• On 04.09.13 rogerharmer wrote:

Not in Birmingham as far as I’m aware, though its always worth entering your specific postcode into the DWP checker just to make sure.